Thursday, March 28, 2013

Today in class - International Mobility

1.  Warm up - voicemails

  • Take notes on each voicemail that was left for Kate
  • Write a summary of the situation - 
    • Why are people leaving voicemails?  
    • What does each person say?  
    • When will each person arrive?  
    • Can you tell which country each person is from?
    • What problems are presented?  
    • What problems will probably come up?  

2.  Parrainage paper due next time (April 4th) - I will accept it this time if you have it ready.

Requirements: 2 pages (1 page front and back) minimum, double spaced, 12 point font.  Write about your experiences with your foreign exchange student (filleul).  You may give personal opinions in addition to the factual details (i.e., "When I taught her how to write a check I was surprised that she wanted to sign it on the back instead of the front.  Later she told me that that is what is usually done in her country.  Now that I think about it, it saves room on the front of the check, so maybe it's a good idea.")

3.  In class this time: check conversion homework

F to C: __Subtract___   __32_, then __multiply__ by _5_, then __divide___ by _9_.
1 meter = ___3.3____ feet.
1 liter = ___.26 gallons______
1 kg = ___2.2___ lbs (pounds).
C to F: ___multiply___ by __9__, then ____divide__ by ____5____, then ____add____  ___32___.
Rewrite the following story using Celsius and Metric measurements.
Hurricane Sandy developed south of Jamaica and ravaged the Caribbean islands before making landfall about 8.04 kmsouthwest of Atlantic City, New Jersey on October 29, 2012.  The highest winds were recorded at 177 kmph (miles per hour).   For comparison, the speed limit on major highways in the United States does not exceed 120 km per hour.  The wind diameter of the hurricane was said to be 1850.75 km.  The LA times reported a coastal surge (wave of water) of over 4 meters in Manhattan (double the size of a tall man).    Some blame the hurricane on global warming.  The average temperature of New York is between4 and 7 degrees Celsius annually, with between 71 and 157 cm of precipitation.
Change the measurements into metric.
3.8 liters of water weighs 4.5 kg.
A football field measures 91.44 meters.
Most trans-Atlantic flights have a cruising speed of 885 kmph at an altitude of 10,668 m.
I live about 1.6 km from the university campus.
The average temperature of Texas in the summer is 35.5 degrees Celsius.
1-bedroom apartment rentals in NYC average about 228 square meters and cost $2,700 per month.

4. In class writing assignment DUE TODAY: Write about the country you plan to visit. Explain what a normal day might be like for you there.  Include any other pertinent information.  ("This summer, I plan to study theatre in London.  The first thing I will need to do is to find a place to live - not too big or expensive, but close to the university.  I'll probably look online in order to find a flat and a roommate.  I hope my roommate is nice, that way she can help me set up my bank accounts.  I won't need a credit card, just a debit card for my checking account.  Once I have my bank accounts, I'll look for a job.  I hope I can become an assistant in a theater - that would be perfect training for my dream job (actress).  But, I'm realistic: I might have to be a waitress for a few months, that's fine too.  I think a normal day for me might begin at 8am.  I'll wake up, take a shower, and hopefully eat breakfast with my roommate.  While we're eating we can talk about what we each did last night.  I hope she likes to party as much as I do!  After that, I'll probably go to the university.  I will pick my apartment based on distance from the university, so I plan to be able to walk to my classes...")  


5. Finished?

Make Your Own Quiz

Make a quiz with at least 10 questions, based on the information that you know will be on the final exam.  Let one of your classmates take your quiz.  When they finish, grade their effort and show them their mistakes/corrections.  

Example question:
1) What is the error in this sentence?
Jane has been studying for this exam during 2 weeks.  

Words of the Day